Skip to main content

To Relax Self-Isolation or Not?

I had a great six-year anniversary weekend with my partner and our daughter. And while I'd love to tell you all about it, there's something more important I want to discuss today: should we relax our self-isolation or not?

Despite the fact that COVID-19 is on track to kill more US citizens than died in all of WWI, and despite the fact that cases are spiking in several states after reopening, my state of Wisconsin seems to still be flattening the curve after being forcibly reopened–at least it appears that way for now.

And with summer just around the corner, there's more and more pressure and desire to cautiously return to normal. Father's day, Independence Day, and various birthdays are just a few occasions coming up in my personal life that I'd love to spend with the family and friends I've been missing.

The odds are, apparently, in favor for relaxing my family's self-isolation. So why am I still hesitant to get back into close physical contact with anyone new?

Simply put, even if the odds of myself, my partner, or my child getting COVID-19 are low, the disease and its ramifications are horrible enough to give me pause.


Additionally, it has created a new condition that affects children. Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome (MIS-C) is a newly-discovered condition that seems to affect children who had COVID-19 or were exposed to someone who had it. MIS-C shows up weeks-to-months after infection, and while it is rare, it has put some children in ICUs and killed others.

I have a young daughter that means the world to me. The idea of her even having a cold or flu breaks my heart. The idea of exposing her to something like that against her will–I don't even know if there's a word for that kind of guilt and fear.
COVID-19 is designed to kill you. And because this is America, even if you survive, the hospital bills of as high as $1.1 million can end whatever your newly disabled future looks like.

So yes, even if the curve is being flattened in my area, and even if the local hospitals are more prepared and not overflowing with cases, this disease is not something I want myself or my family to ever be exposed to.

Would you ever play Russian roulette, even with a single bullet in a 100-chamber revolver? Would you force someone else to play it? That's what breaking social distancing does.

But I could also say that about driving a car.

I suppose we should probably all stay home forever.

Stay healthy and sane.
-Ryan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Been Unemployed for a Month

Sorry I haven't written here in a while. So much was happening in those first few months of the pandemic, and then it seemed like everything just kind of slowed to a crawl before it all went stale. Every day has been the same thing. People don't believe facts. People are getting sick. The pandemic isn't over yet. We need to stay home. We need a sense of normalcy. The numbers are down. The numbers are up. On and on and on in a never-ending loop. Like many people, I fell into a sort of numb depression without even realizing it. The pandemic and quarantine weren't great for my mental health, and I stagnated. I kept on going through the motions, but it was all in a sort of half-conscious way. Fortunately, a few months ago I became aware of this and made some changes to improve my mental health and overall lifestyle. It seemed like everything was going to be alright again. Then, after an incredibly stressful two months at work during which I worked and pushed myself harder t

News Updates for Posterity

As I said in my previous blog post, I'm not sure there's really anything significantly new to say about this pandemic since it's been going on far longer than it should have. That said, I still want to keep this blog updated on a somewhat regular basis for future historical reference. In the absence of any new insights to share, I'm going to share and comment on some recent news. July 14: CDC says U.S. could get coronavirus under control in one to two months if everyone wears a mask This is pretty much the thing I've been preaching from the beginning because I respect the advice of educated experts. Still, it's nice to have the CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (spelled out, capitalized, and bold in case you forgot that this pandemic is literally what the CDC was designed to help us with) slap the nation across the face with how badly we're messing up and how quickly we could be done with quarantining if everyone just wore their damn masks. July 15

The Escalation of Events

So yesterday I stumbled upon  this article in which a respiratory therapist describes in detail what the worst of COVID-19 looks like in the hospital. These disturbing descriptions were all new to me, which is worrisome given how far into this pandemic the world already is. The details of the disease shouldn't still be unknown or downplayed at this point. I began to reflect on my experience learning about this disease and how long it took for me to take it seriously versus how quickly everything seemed to go wrong. I was away on business in Boston for PAX East (a big video game convention) from February 25th through March 2nd. There was talk of the "novel coronavirus" at the time but I didn't know much about it. While I worked my booth and walked the convention floor I couldn't help but notice the (relatively small but nonetheless) increased number of attendees wearing face masks at the event. I just kind of shrugged it off, thinking it was good that peo