Skip to main content

Y’all Went Ahead and Made Things Worse

It's not polite to say "I told you so" so I'll instead quote a movie called Fight Club and say "I am Jack's complete lack of surprise."

I was really hoping that my first post after my vacation could just be about how fun and relaxing it was to be off-the-grid and with my family among the beauty of nature, but given that this is a COVID-19 blog I'd be remiss not to mention all the crap that's been going on lately. But for those of you just curious to see how I'm doing in my personal life, I'll start with that and label the COVID-19 news for you to skip or read afterward at your leisure.

Getting Away Really Helps
I'm pretty sure I covered this a few times before, but it's really healthy to take a break from the news and chaos going on around us once in a while. I was fortunate enough to do so over the course of a week with my in-laws at their cottage in the middle of nowhere of Michigan's upper peninsula.

Being without internet and having limited access to cell service or even electricity was exactly what I and my family needed to recharge our batteries, mentally. I helped fell a tree that was partially chomped by beavers, read a lot of my book, went on a trail run, drank and ate heartily, and played with my daughter, who seemed to have gained several points of intelligence and personality in the span of only five days! The weather was unseasonably warm, but that was just fine for us because the last few years it has been cold and rainy during this time of year instead. Overall I couldn't have asked for anything better!
There were long stretches of time where I just completely forgot about the pandemic and all the stressors associated with it. Furthermore, it restored my faith in humanity that in a very remote town in a county with zero confirmed cases of COVID-19, people were still being very serious about using face masks and practicing social distancing. They of all people have reason to brush off the threat and assume "it's just a cold" or "I don't need to worry about that because we're all fine" and yet they were doing their part to keep themselves and their fellow people safe from the invisible threat. It was absolutely wonderful.

It's such a shame that we had to return to the real world at all.

I Thought I Told You to Behave While I Was Gone
Firstly, for posterity, this happened a while ago but I really should have mentioned already that the President of the United States suggested that people be injected with disinfectant as a cure for COVID-19, which anyone with half a mind might realize as something that's actually highly poisonous and hazardous to do. Unfortunately, there's a decent percent of the population that's both too stupid to know that and too loyal to Trump to second-guess anything he says, so people actually started going ahead and trying that out, directly resulting in spikes of calls to poison control centers and related hospitalizations.

I've been trying my hardest to keep this blog as apolitical as possible, but so much of what President Trump does goes beyond left/right politics and into pure, unfiltered stupidity and recklessness that has repeatedly put people's lives in actual risk. It's a real shame that he's in charge of the nation during a global pandemic because we could really use a brave, intelligent, competent leader in a time like this.

In more recent news, there's now rioting in Minneapolis because, surprise, the nation's police forces are just about as perfect as our schooling, healthcare, and gun control and people are fed up with unarmed black people being repeatedly murdered by police. In response, President Trump tweeted “when the looting starts, the shooting starts,” which just so happens to be a threat coined by Miami Police Chief Walter Headley, who promised violent reprisals on black protesters in 1967. Regardless if you think it's a coincidence that the man who is beloved by the former grand wizard of the KKK quoted a white supremacist, the President of the United States just directly threatened the lives of people protesting the absolutely rampant racism in the US police force. This is shortly after he retweeted a video of a supporter saying that the "only good democrat is a dead democrat." If you don't think that a leader brazenly inciting violence leads to their supporters becoming violent, just look into the the aforementioned Charlottesville car attack again.

Again, this isn't political. This is just stupidity and recklessness. If the most liberal democratic president on the face of the earth said and did the same things as this guy I'd be fucking appalled.

And if you're asking "what does this have to do with the COVID-19 pandemic?" Well the rioting itself is sure to have a ripple effect on the number of cases, and Trump's continued demonstrations of how dumb and reckless he is when faced with any challenge will undoubtedly be reflected in the country's continued ineptitude with the pandemic going forward. 

IN LOCAL NEWS

"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise."

Stay healthy and sane.
-Ryan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Been Unemployed for a Month

Sorry I haven't written here in a while. So much was happening in those first few months of the pandemic, and then it seemed like everything just kind of slowed to a crawl before it all went stale. Every day has been the same thing. People don't believe facts. People are getting sick. The pandemic isn't over yet. We need to stay home. We need a sense of normalcy. The numbers are down. The numbers are up. On and on and on in a never-ending loop. Like many people, I fell into a sort of numb depression without even realizing it. The pandemic and quarantine weren't great for my mental health, and I stagnated. I kept on going through the motions, but it was all in a sort of half-conscious way. Fortunately, a few months ago I became aware of this and made some changes to improve my mental health and overall lifestyle. It seemed like everything was going to be alright again. Then, after an incredibly stressful two months at work during which I worked and pushed myself harder t

News Updates for Posterity

As I said in my previous blog post, I'm not sure there's really anything significantly new to say about this pandemic since it's been going on far longer than it should have. That said, I still want to keep this blog updated on a somewhat regular basis for future historical reference. In the absence of any new insights to share, I'm going to share and comment on some recent news. July 14: CDC says U.S. could get coronavirus under control in one to two months if everyone wears a mask This is pretty much the thing I've been preaching from the beginning because I respect the advice of educated experts. Still, it's nice to have the CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (spelled out, capitalized, and bold in case you forgot that this pandemic is literally what the CDC was designed to help us with) slap the nation across the face with how badly we're messing up and how quickly we could be done with quarantining if everyone just wore their damn masks. July 15

The Escalation of Events

So yesterday I stumbled upon  this article in which a respiratory therapist describes in detail what the worst of COVID-19 looks like in the hospital. These disturbing descriptions were all new to me, which is worrisome given how far into this pandemic the world already is. The details of the disease shouldn't still be unknown or downplayed at this point. I began to reflect on my experience learning about this disease and how long it took for me to take it seriously versus how quickly everything seemed to go wrong. I was away on business in Boston for PAX East (a big video game convention) from February 25th through March 2nd. There was talk of the "novel coronavirus" at the time but I didn't know much about it. While I worked my booth and walked the convention floor I couldn't help but notice the (relatively small but nonetheless) increased number of attendees wearing face masks at the event. I just kind of shrugged it off, thinking it was good that peo