Skip to main content

Planning My Virtual 5K Run

My brother was nice enough to sign me up for my first public 5K race as a gift this past Christmas. The Milwaukee Marathon 5K race was scheduled for April 11th until it was cancelled and converted into a virtual race in the early days of the US pandemic. "Virtual race" means that each racer is to pick a time and place that is convenient for them to run, run the distance they signed up for at that chosen time and place, and submit their finishing time (on the honor system) to receive a certificate of completion.

I decided early on that I wanted to run my 5K sometime around when the race was originally scheduled. I also wanted to do it somewhere different than where I regularly run to make it feel somewhat special. This weekend I took to planning the details.

Using plotaroute.com I searched for areas I hadn't run before that seemed ideal. For me, an ideal route has to meet as many of the following criteria as possible:
  • Is nearby
  • Is relatively flat
  • Doesn't cross any streets
  • Is pretty to look at
  • Loops back to the start
  • Is easy to navigate for the first time so I don't accidentally run too little or too much
I started by looking for uninterrupted segments of the parkway I already run that are further away, but I couldn't find anything easily loopable that didn't cross over any busy streets. I briefly considered running in a residential area so that traffic would at least be at a minimum and I'd have the right of way, but the idea of driving to someone else's neighborhood for a run just didn't feel right. I then started looking for 5K routes submitted to the website by other users. Lo and behold, I finally found a route that seemed just right:
The "Hart 5K" route is nearby, relatively flat, doesn't cross any streets, is in a park (pretty to look at), loops back to the start with an easy turnaround point (a street), and is in an area I know pretty well. That means it hits every single one of my criteria for an ideal route!

The only potential hurdle is that it does cross over some train tracks (twice since it's a loop), which as you can imagine could be problematic if I end up running when there's a train crossing. As such, I decided to run early in the week so that if a train messes up my run I can attempt the run again on another day. Also, because the weather for the week looks like there could be rain, I've decided that I should probably make my first attempt today.

My fastest 5K run time so far has been 28:38, with my best estimated 5K run time being 26:48 when I ran nearly 5 miles last year. I don't necessarily expect to come close to either of those times since I haven't had as much time to train or run the route as I did for those, but I'll be satisfied with anything under 30:00 given my average pace on my recent runs. Wish me luck!

Stay healthy and sane.
-Ryan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Been Unemployed for a Month

Sorry I haven't written here in a while. So much was happening in those first few months of the pandemic, and then it seemed like everything just kind of slowed to a crawl before it all went stale. Every day has been the same thing. People don't believe facts. People are getting sick. The pandemic isn't over yet. We need to stay home. We need a sense of normalcy. The numbers are down. The numbers are up. On and on and on in a never-ending loop. Like many people, I fell into a sort of numb depression without even realizing it. The pandemic and quarantine weren't great for my mental health, and I stagnated. I kept on going through the motions, but it was all in a sort of half-conscious way. Fortunately, a few months ago I became aware of this and made some changes to improve my mental health and overall lifestyle. It seemed like everything was going to be alright again. Then, after an incredibly stressful two months at work during which I worked and pushed myself harder t

News Updates for Posterity

As I said in my previous blog post, I'm not sure there's really anything significantly new to say about this pandemic since it's been going on far longer than it should have. That said, I still want to keep this blog updated on a somewhat regular basis for future historical reference. In the absence of any new insights to share, I'm going to share and comment on some recent news. July 14: CDC says U.S. could get coronavirus under control in one to two months if everyone wears a mask This is pretty much the thing I've been preaching from the beginning because I respect the advice of educated experts. Still, it's nice to have the CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (spelled out, capitalized, and bold in case you forgot that this pandemic is literally what the CDC was designed to help us with) slap the nation across the face with how badly we're messing up and how quickly we could be done with quarantining if everyone just wore their damn masks. July 15

The Escalation of Events

So yesterday I stumbled upon  this article in which a respiratory therapist describes in detail what the worst of COVID-19 looks like in the hospital. These disturbing descriptions were all new to me, which is worrisome given how far into this pandemic the world already is. The details of the disease shouldn't still be unknown or downplayed at this point. I began to reflect on my experience learning about this disease and how long it took for me to take it seriously versus how quickly everything seemed to go wrong. I was away on business in Boston for PAX East (a big video game convention) from February 25th through March 2nd. There was talk of the "novel coronavirus" at the time but I didn't know much about it. While I worked my booth and walked the convention floor I couldn't help but notice the (relatively small but nonetheless) increased number of attendees wearing face masks at the event. I just kind of shrugged it off, thinking it was good that peo