Skip to main content

Three Day Weekend

I am fortunate enough that although I'm still very busy at work, my employer has been encouraging everyone to take some time off when possible. As such, I took yesterday off of work so that I could have a three-day weekend with my family, and I'm so glad that I did.

Saturday was just about perfect. My partner and I awoke from a good night's sleep feeling well-rested and ready to enjoy the day, which promised a high of 57F and sunny weather. We made homemade biscuits and gravy with cheesy scrambled eggs for breakfast.
We played with our daughter for a bit, did some house chores during her impressively long hour and a half nap, had ham sandwiches using some of my parents' delicious leftover Easter ham, went to the city drop-off site to dispose of our yard waste, and then I played with my daughter outside while my partner dug out a corner of our yard to turn into a rock garden.

Also, earlier that day we had talked to my parents about the health precautions they were taking recently, what kind of exposures they might have had, and how they were feeling. After coming to an understanding, we all decided that we were comfortable with them coming over to finally spend some time with their granddaughter for the afternoon. It took her some time to warm up to them, but she had a lot of fun and so did they.
Sunday didn't go quite as smoothly, but at least the pressure was off knowing that I had yet another day to spend with my family rather than going right back to work on Monday. Even so, we had a really fun and productive day in which we had some delicious pancakes, made a bit more progress on the rock garden, had more ham sandwiches, and picked up burgers for dinner from one of our favorite local burger and custard restaurants. I then finished the day by playing some Team Fortress 2 with a friend online.

As for Monday, my partner remembered hearing about a drive-through zoo that was still open in a limited capacity during the pandemic. Given how much we'd both missed going to the Milwaukee County Zoo during the warm weather days with our daughter, we knew we had to check it out. While normally the Shalom Wildlife Zoo allows you to walk around and even feed the animals, which we'd love to do someday, it was still a great experience to get out of the house and actually do something that everyone could enjoy, even if we had to stay confined to our car.
Other than that, there was more playtime, more chores done, more good food (notably a homemade buffalo chili), more relaxation, and I even got a bit more time to play games online with friends. Overall there's not much that could have made the extended weekend any better!

Stay healthy and sane!
-Ryan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Been Unemployed for a Month

Sorry I haven't written here in a while. So much was happening in those first few months of the pandemic, and then it seemed like everything just kind of slowed to a crawl before it all went stale. Every day has been the same thing. People don't believe facts. People are getting sick. The pandemic isn't over yet. We need to stay home. We need a sense of normalcy. The numbers are down. The numbers are up. On and on and on in a never-ending loop. Like many people, I fell into a sort of numb depression without even realizing it. The pandemic and quarantine weren't great for my mental health, and I stagnated. I kept on going through the motions, but it was all in a sort of half-conscious way. Fortunately, a few months ago I became aware of this and made some changes to improve my mental health and overall lifestyle. It seemed like everything was going to be alright again. Then, after an incredibly stressful two months at work during which I worked and pushed myself harder t

News Updates for Posterity

As I said in my previous blog post, I'm not sure there's really anything significantly new to say about this pandemic since it's been going on far longer than it should have. That said, I still want to keep this blog updated on a somewhat regular basis for future historical reference. In the absence of any new insights to share, I'm going to share and comment on some recent news. July 14: CDC says U.S. could get coronavirus under control in one to two months if everyone wears a mask This is pretty much the thing I've been preaching from the beginning because I respect the advice of educated experts. Still, it's nice to have the CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (spelled out, capitalized, and bold in case you forgot that this pandemic is literally what the CDC was designed to help us with) slap the nation across the face with how badly we're messing up and how quickly we could be done with quarantining if everyone just wore their damn masks. July 15

The Escalation of Events

So yesterday I stumbled upon  this article in which a respiratory therapist describes in detail what the worst of COVID-19 looks like in the hospital. These disturbing descriptions were all new to me, which is worrisome given how far into this pandemic the world already is. The details of the disease shouldn't still be unknown or downplayed at this point. I began to reflect on my experience learning about this disease and how long it took for me to take it seriously versus how quickly everything seemed to go wrong. I was away on business in Boston for PAX East (a big video game convention) from February 25th through March 2nd. There was talk of the "novel coronavirus" at the time but I didn't know much about it. While I worked my booth and walked the convention floor I couldn't help but notice the (relatively small but nonetheless) increased number of attendees wearing face masks at the event. I just kind of shrugged it off, thinking it was good that peo